Monday, March 30, 2009

Barefoot Contessa's Parmesan Chicken

I confess. I am a food network junkie. And Ina Garten (from the Barefoot Contessa) is one of my faves. Pretty much everything she makes is fabulous. This recipe was so delicious! The egg and flour coating before the breadcrumbs made all the difference. I didn't have any baby greens on hand so I left out that part but I did spritz the chicken with fresh lemon juice after it had been cooked and it tasted amazing! I also left out the butter and cooked each chicken breast for about 8 minutes on each side. And of course, I forgot to take a picture! I promise to be better about that.

6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 extra-large eggs
1 1/4 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
Unsalted butter (I left this out)
Good olive oil
Salad greens for 6, washed and spun dry
Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe below)

Pound chicken breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or rolling pin. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 Tbsp. of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Coat chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into egg mixture and dredge both sides in bread crumb mixture, pressing lightly.

Heat 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Add more butter and olive oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. Toss the salad greens with Lemon Vinaigrette. Place a mound of salad on each hot chicken breast. Serve with extra grated Parmesan.

Lemon Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), 1/2 cup good olive oil, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.

No comments: