Friday, November 7, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup with Ravioi

I saw this recipe and immediately thought of a dish just like it that I had at the "TRIO" restaurant. I wouldn't call it a soup, though I guess you could have it separately as such. I just used the "soup" as sauce...mmmm!

Start to finish: 30 minutes

2 pounds butternut squash
2 14 ounce cans vegetable broth
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 TBSP butter or margarine
1 - 9 ounce package refrigerated cheese -filled Ravioli
1 TBSP molasses (WHAT? Who actually HAS molasses in their home... is this something I should have on hand? How long does it keep for these random recipes? I omitted it- which the recipe said you could do..."if you like")

1. Peel Squash. Halve lengthwise. Remove seeds and discard. Cut squash into 3/4 inch pieces.
2. In a large saucepan combine 1/2 cup water, squash, vegetable broth (I only had chicken broth which worked, but I wonder how it would taste with vegetable broth?), and red pepper. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
3. Transfer one -fourth of the squash mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl. cover and blend or process until smooth. Repeat with remaining portions, until all of the mixture is blended.
4. Return mixture to the saucepan. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minute. Add butter; stir until just melted.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the ravioli according to package directions; drain. Ladle hot soup into bowls. Divide cooked ravioli among bowls. Drizzle with molasses.

No comments: